Thursday, October 3, 2013

Firenze Vita


Well as I write this blog I'm gazing at Piazza Pitti aka the Pitti Palace where the Medici family lived while they had control in Florence. I'm out to dinner alone at what has become one of my favorite places, Ristorante Caffe Pitti. I always get the gnocchi and caprese along with white wine. The food is good, not amazing but I truly enjoy the environment and service. Another thing I love about this place is the music, they play killer throwbacks and other music from today. The throwbacks that they play make it, nelly, tlc, you name it and they've played it here. Tonight I was told that my Italian is getting a lot better and they love the effort. I love being able to sit here enjoy my surroundings and take it all in. I had no issue going out alone, I actually chose it. The thing I hate most about being here is not being able to walk around Florence by myself at night. It's not that it's not safe but it's probably not the best idea. This is when I miss my friends at home most because I know some would rather adventure around town than go get shitfaced.

A little update on my academic life: I got an 80 on my mafia test, which I will gladly take because all I need is a C to get credit for my classes. I also got an A on my presentation that I did on imitation into the Mafia, which in my opinion is so messed up. I also got about an 93 on my first Italian quiz here in Florence. I don't know how I'm doing it. I had three paper proposals due this past week. I have those three papers due within two days of each other, on the 28th and 29th. I leave for Amsterdam on the 31st, so doing those papers means I'm that much closer to my next trip.

However I head to Venice tomorrow, and surprise surprise it's suppose to rain! I had to go out today and buy some rain boots so I didn't end up ruining at least two pairs or sneakers and boots. Oh well I guess it rains in Italy later on in November. I'm excited to head to Venice and see a city built on water or under water. A story that will always stay in my head is when my grandmother fell into the canal while trying to get off of or into a gondola. The only thing that didn't go under water was her purse, so typical of her. They gave her a shot after to kill the bacteria she may have swallowed which kills me because she doesn't drink. Except for a piƱa colada when she gets lucky if places have them.

Last night I had another pizza making class and I still stand by what I have said before. I have made the best pizza I've had here in Italy. It had shredded mozzarella cheese, Gorgonzola, spicy sausage, basil, artichoke and oregano. Soooo bomb. I also fell in love with the pizza chef there, he was so cute. And when I say fall in love I've also fallen in love with Andres, the guy who works at Gustopanino, basically I fall in love with the food masters. Works in my advantage. He puts hearts and smileys on my napkins when I take my panino to go. Andres also hooks me up with wine and diet coke when I go in there, how can I not fall in love? You try and tell me that....

Today for my photography class we went to the Boboli gardens in the pitti palace, absolutely beautiful. It's even better because I've learned how to shoot manual and I can chose how my photos come out now, light, dark, what's in focus and what not. I have a total new appreciation for photographers. But all this photography makes me miss home and especially the tracks and mountains. I have to figure out a midterm project due in about a week and a half and I'm trying to decide if I should do it on graffiti or the leather market. Of course I'm kind of leaning towards tagging but I can't make up my mind. Gotta do that soon though. 


Note: the below pictures are all shot on manual and part of my photography class...







No comments:

Post a Comment