Friday, August 16, 2013

Take One


As I sit here writing my first blog post ever, I’m at work taking the scenery and people in on my second to last day of work up here in Maine. It’s crazy to think that 3 months ago I was wishing away summer because I was so excited to “hop across the pond” to Italy. I thought that the three months I spend in Maine would never end, I was wrong, I don’t want my summer to end but I could not be more thrilled to start my adventure. Once school ended, I went home to Massachusetts for a month and I could not get out of there fast enough to come to Maine for my 20th summer here. Fun fact about myself, I’m 20 years old, and have never spent a summer in my hometown. Instead, I go to Maine on Long Lake and work at the causeway that is at the head of the lake, right in the heart of where most of the action takes place.
            It is strange to think that I would be heading back to Vermont in a couple of weeks and exploring the tracks, mountains and all of the other naturey places I spend my time at. This fall I’ll be venturing to the vineyards of Italy, mountains of Switzerland and other places far and between. I never thought that my study abroad would take me to Europe, but little did I know I would be spending almost 3 and half months in Florence, Italy. I wanted some place in Africa to go along with my anthropology/sociology course that I'm going down but instead I chose Italy. I’m excited, but of course I’m nervous. I’ve never been to Italy before, let alone Europe and I don’t speak any Italian. That however, will soon change when I head to the coast of Italy for my two-week orientation, which there I’ll take Italian, and a cultural course.
            One of the most exciting parts about studying abroad for me is the photography class I will be taking. I have just started trying to get into photography but I don’t know much and truly there is probably no better place to learn than Italy, one of the most art influential places I can think of. I can’t even being to imagine the things and places I’m going to be seeing and photographing. I don’t want to be just some girl with an expensive camera, I truly want to learn and live it.
         As I sign off, I'm five days closer to being girl on a never ending and NEW adventure....

You really can't beat a job where you can sit in the window, take in your surroundings and work on your tan....
"Willo Life"
Naples, Maine on the causeway
Photo credit: Laura Jordan 

No comments:

Post a Comment